Sunday, April 6, 2014

Getting Rejected

Being in theatre, I understand the pains of being rejected from community theatre. Actually I've just been declined from a musical today at Diamond Head Theatre... I mean I had conflicts so I guess it was inevitable that I was not chosen.

Feeling sort of depressed, this is my topic for today. Something I went through and something I need to overcome. You can be lucky like my friend who gets in every musical he auditions for and with the role he desires. You can be like me who auditioned at DHT 3 1/2 times and still do not get in the shows.

Try elsewhere. It might not be you, it might even be the theatre itself. Try out for other theatres or companies and possibly they might just have a greater liking for you.

Practice more. This is something everyone knows. If you do not succeed at first, try try again. But even more than the last.

It might not be you. Sometimes you could do an amazing job, but the show only requires so much people and you do not match the overall feel or typecasting the show wants. Audition for a show that matches you and who knows, you might get a principal character.

Take classes the theatre offers OR crew for the shows. By doing this you get to make connections to the theatre's general company and even the casting directors. Be on their good side and whala!

I hope I can follow my own advice, haha.

Anthony Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment